Wednesday, September 27, 2006

While I still can

People always ask me what the big deal is about saving Lower Trestles. It is kind of a two edge sword. On one hand, like today, you get perfect overhead peaks on the outside and lightning fast walls on the inside where most other spots nearby are closed out and funky. On the other hand, you draw in the worst of the worst types of surfers who take off 2-3 deep on every single wave and make life miserable if not impossible for everyone out, so almost every wave goes to waste. So, if you ask me if saving Trestles is worth it, I'd say not for this pack of mongrels. I sat way inside and picked up the smaller and better shaped ones while watching in horror as wave after wave was completely wasted by one guy ruining it for another. It always happens after the big contest; all the wannabes surf down at Lowers pretending they are Kelly Slater and tear up each other for a couple weeks, then they all get weary of each other and go home to surf their local spots, leaving the place for me for the Winter. And Winter can't come soon enough. In spite of the crowds, somehow, I managed to get some really beefy head high waves today in pretty good conditions. A couple of gouging turns, full speed runs for 100 yards down the inside point and a few long rock and roll floaters would make up the highlight reel today. So, even if I doubt if Trestles is worth saving for the motley crew that surfs it, until the Toll Road construction, I intend to make as many withdrawals from the Trestle's Banks while I still can.

No comments: